Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Sonohysterogram

Warning for men, this may be a little more graphic then you want to read.

Sonohysterogram
What is sonohysterography?
Sonohysterography is a technique in which fluid is injected through the cervix into the uterus, and ultrasound is used to make images of the uterine cavity. The fluid shows more detail of the inside of the uterus than when ultrasound is used alone. 


This is a perfect explanation. 
So here you are. 
The procedure.
Except it is to see the little embryos implanted.

They say that this is a little worse then a normal pap smear. 
The reason that they do this procedure is to see what degree your uterus is connected to your cervix. For example, I have always known I have a tilted uterus (it is actually really common), but this allowed Dr Murrain to know which direction it was tilted for implantation.

Dr Murrain cleaned the face of my cervix with iodine and then used a catheter to get through the cervix. Sadly I have learned way more about human anatomy that I know I should already known. The catheter which is bendy, needed a little assistance and they had to add a metal rod. That hurt like crazy! A tears to the eyes immediately kind of a hurt. That also went away immediately, so all was good. 
This was the only appointment Thomas had come with me too and after giving me his handkerchief, I held his arm. When the nurse came back in, she said I had a death grip on him.
I didn't think it was that bad!

Dr Murrain did say that if that had not worked he would have to use a dilator which would have hurt. Glad I didn't have to experience that! It is only when breaking through the cervix wall that there is the cramping feeling. The rest is pretty normal.

Once the catheter was in, they used a sonogram to watch air go in and out of the uterus, so that on the day of implant I could see what to look for.

They said it would look like a twinkle.
Hehe. My own twinkle.

As much as this is uncomfortable and I wasn't really looking forward to feeling this again during implant day, I do appreciate that they take the precautions to do this ahead of time so that when they go to implant the precious little embryos on "that" day, they don't have to harm them by passing them between multiple catheters.

My own twinkle.


1 comment: